النتائج 1 إلى 6 من 6

الموضوع: How do you express sarcasm in Arabic?

How do you express sarcasm in Arabic?

This is really weird. Apparently I come across as a complete jerk when I write in Arabic, people are literally up in arms against my writings.I tend to be a little sarcastic and enjoy poking fun at almost everything. But people here, unlike myself, have principles and things that they hold dear. So put two and two together and you pretty much have an idea of what a complete jerk I come across as.

So far the list of things I have criticized includes Arab leaders, the Muslim clergy and scholars, the armed folks (not sure if I wanna call them resistance) in Iraq, the other Armed folks is pretty much every Jihad spot on the planet, the U.S. government and it's agents in the regions, the Shi'ites, and most importantly Nancy Ajram. Yes, I have managed to pull that off in record time and I still have some amo left to take shots at others.

At the few occassions that I have actually apologized, I said "I was joking". But semantically, joking is not the same as being sarcastic. A joke is just a way to deliver humor. Sarcasm is a way to communicate a message and a mood. A joke, if not understood, causes no harm. A sarcastic remark, misunderstood, is enough to warrant a war. It's this last property that makes it harder for me to be sarcastic in Arabic. Not only am I being misunderstood, but my foe club is bustling with new members, greeting each other and discussing what a loser I am over coffee and donuts.

Cheers.
    التعديل الأخير تم بواسطة ibn_alqalam ; 12-04-2005 الساعة 12:04 AM سبب آخر: Sorry if this group is for people _learning_ English, as opposed to people _ranting_ in English.

التسجيل
    24-03-2005
    الدولة
    Somewhere I Belong
    المشاركات

مشاركة: How do you express sarcasm in Arabic?

but my foe club is bustling with new members, greeting each other and discussing what a loser I am over coffee and donuts.
    Interesting

But people here, unlike myself, have principles and things that they hold dear
    I guess it actually depends on whom you're talking to, where he's from, for how long you know him, and what exactly you're joking about
    Sometimes you joke with people who won't accept what you say, and get shocked seeing them accept it from others, and discover just because you've known them for a short while - a while short enoght not allowing you to cross the red line - or maybe you'r just joking about something that they take seriously or don't think it's funny, or simply because they don't like you

Not mentioning differences in cultures, ways of thinking, classes, and mentalities

So just know who to joke with, how, and when. And think before you speak, so you won't make a fool out of yourself

Salaam
    ~ إذا دعتك قدرتك على ظلم الناس، فتذكر قدرة الله عليك ~

التسجيل
    25-09-2000
    المشاركات

Maybe they respect their religion enough not to laugh at any of your jokes or sarcastic remarks.

التسجيل
    24-03-2005
    الدولة
    Somewhere I Belong
    المشاركات

Maybe they respect their religion enough not to laugh at any of your jokes or sarcastic remarks
    Laughing at people's jokes or sarcastic remarks doesn't necessarily mean disrespecting other people's religion
    ~ إذا دعتك قدرتك على ظلم الناس، فتذكر قدرة الله عليك ~

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة NaughtY AngeL

Laughing at people's jokes or sarcastic remarks doesn't necessarily mean disrespecting other people's religion
    Thank you.

I don't find it interesting to converse with people bent on being right. We all want to be right, at some level or another, else we wouldn't not have held the opinions we hold now. But the problem is that some people interpret every tone of voice as active opposition to their ideals, even those in agreement and standing along with them in support.

It is hard to criticize culture, people and behavior, when all are being treated like religion. Faith in a higher being requires the suspension of though and analysis, and I did not question that, but it stupid to suspend critical thinking all together and never question one's actions and words. Politics is now a religion. Economics is religion. Matters of war and peace are now a religion.

The empror is not only dressed, but he is sharp and hadsome looking too!

التسجيل
    25-09-2000
    المشاركات

اقتباس المشاركة الأصلية كتبت بواسطة NaughtY AngeL

disrespecting "your" religion

you may criticize culture, politics or whatever you want to criticize
    but to censure somebody else`s religion, that is foul, people in here have strong faith in thier religion and nobody has the right to take thier faith lightly by applying sarcasm or humor.

forgive me if I misunderstood either of you.

ضوابط المشاركة

• لا تستطيع إضافة مواضيع جديدة
  • لا تستطيع الرد على المواضيع
  • لا تستطيع إرفاق ملفات
  • لا تستطيع تعديل مشاركاتك
  •